Sunday 12 June 2011

Stuck! (Or perhaps not)

My first career coaching session earlier this week consisted of me answering a whole bunch of questions, some of which are...


What were your favourite subjects at school up to age 11 (not just the ones you did best at)?
What did you enjoy doing outside the classroom?
If you could do someone else’s job for a week, what would you do?
If your friends are having a conversation, what’s the kind of topic that will make you want to jump in and join the conversation?

Answering these questions (and more) really got me excited, enthused and happy. I knew instantly that if I could do someone else's job for a week, I would be in musical theatre in London's West End. Other questions (relating to my studies and to jobs I've applied for or been drawn to apply for) I found harder to answer.

After the session, my coach sent me the questions to ponder upon further if I wished, and a second wave of answers began to emerge. 

Relationships are a key area that I'm interested in, I realize. 

What makes people who they are - the journey they've been on in their life, to bring them to this point: not just the hand they're dealt in life, but crucially, how they've played it. 

Being outdoors.

Cycling.

Tea.

Singing, dancing, performing.

Being creative, alive, connected and free.

It was the stuff around my early childhood that brought the biggest wave of happiness to me - remembering how effortlessly we played as children, whether it was 'What's the time, Mr Wolf?', or 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', or a simple game of marbles. I loved becoming absorbed in something as a child, and my imagination was powerful.

And yet now, I feel stuck.

I need help. Your help, if you're willing to give it.

My coach drew out certain themes that arose from the questions, and I jotted them down. There were loads in there, ranging from linguistics to movement to animals to cake. I had to select only the ones that I really wanted to be part of my working life for the next 12 months. The others I am prepared to shelve, for at least a year, in my professional life at least.

My homework is to play for a while, matching up two topics at a time and coming up with imaginative jobs or ways that I could make some money or build something involving these areas.

And I'm stuck.

Here is my list:
Tea (and cake)
Dance
Reading
Cycling
Theatre and musicals (performing)
Spirituality
Facilitation (of therapeutic processes)
Writing
Personal development
Animals/the environment
Creative games outdoors

I don't know if it's because the subjects are so broad, or because these things excite me so much that I've almost gone into shut down mode, but I just can't come up with ideas that I think are in any way half decent. 

Here are some of the terrible ideas I've had (I know, I'm judging myself):

Tea (and cake) + Theatre and musicals (performing)
Organise tea and cake tours for theatre lovers e.g. a matinee show plus a great tea room. (Write double reviews)
Write a musical about tea and cake
Write and educational play about the history of tea and cake in England (oh God help me, I'm really scraping the barrel here)
Give talks on the history of theatre over afternoon tea
Debate pros and cons of musicals vs theatre, in a cafe environment

Writing + Facilitation
Write articles/a book about being a Clearmind assistant
Blog about trust as the foundation of surrendered facilitation
Write a book on the history of Clearmind
Supporting yourself and your students in the classroom - e.g. use the Tao of Leadership
Journey from being a participant to an assistant
Proofread/ edit articles or books on facilitation
Write something accessible to the masses and send off for publication

Dance + Theatre and musicals
Work for a dance school or at a theatre
Ditto for the BBC on Strictly Come Dancing
Write a show and take it to a performing arts festival
Audition for paid musical work ('yeah right', I think. Hey you - LET ME DREAM!)
Make a piece of 5 rhythms based theatre
Train to be a 5 rhythms teacher
Incorporate 5 rhythms into an audience based discipline e.g. use masks, partner work, the self watching the self
Get involved in flashmobbing

I feel so unexcited, so demotivated, so sceptical of all of these stupid ideas. I stopped after three combinations because I felt so stupid about all of these ideas. That voice is telling me that there's nothing that I could do that is going to make me happy and make me any money.

Also, I don't believe that I have what it takes to earn a living out of something that I love. Perhaps that's why the ideas I've come up with are not money making ideas; I'm blocking my own process. 

Maybe that's why my coach wants me to do this homework with someone else.

Can you help me? If you can imagine any cool combinations of the above topics, please would you leave a comment for me, or email me on elloabarbour@yahoo.com

Thank you. I'm really hoping that I can push through this stuck place. I was on such a great roll with all this career process, and now I feel defeated again.

Feeling vulnerable, scared of what you think of my ideas, but knowing that I have to get open and vulnerable and ask for help around this stuff.

Love,
Elloa xx


P.S. Just read this fabulous post by beautiful Julia over at Painted path - perhaps patience rather than 'Shoulding' over myself is going to pave the way for answers to pop up like daisies between paving stones. Thank you Julia :)

4 comments:

Nige said...

You are slap bang in the middle of an exploration of the heart Ell - a few growing pains here and then are good for the soul. Gently does it my love. XXX

Brooke said...

Here is the first thing that comes to me. What would if feel like if you realized that this Elloa character is a role you are playing. What would she do then?

Also, it might help to keep the discovery and exploration only in the present moment, and let go of trying to turn it into something. Hale Dwoskin of the Sedona Method talks about how when you are trying to make something happen, you are seeing tunnel vision. When you let go struggle, and let the present fill you with magic (like is happening when you discover what you love!) then you begin to see not only 360 degrees, but multi-dimensionally. Ideas come together.

So, I don't think you are stuck-- just need to give yourself room to fully feel all of this out with great joy. Go see Woody Allen's movie, Midnight in Paris as soon as you can. It is for you.

Anonymous said...

Elloa, your ideas are AMAZING! I know this process can get so overwhelming and stuckness can set in. I hope you will continue to explore these "pairs" of interests. Even if it doesn't feel like it yet, there is so much richness being revealed here. Theater really pops out...
I am over here sending lots of creative energy vibes your way. :)

Julia said...

Elloa! Whew...amazing post!

It feels very clear to me that the overwhelm is coming from you looking too far out there for the answers, thinking there is ONE way or ONE answer...your little mind is trying desperately to figure this out. I am all too familiar with overwhelm so I totally get this.

Okay, here's what's coming through...slow way the heck down, stop TRYING to figure out (your mind is dumb, all minds are, it will never be able to do it), ask for guidance, continue to move toward what feels good/empowering/joyful/inspiring IN THE MOMENT...let go of the hows, let go of it needing to look a certain way...just follow your joy in each moment and TRUST that you will be lead to the next and the next and the next. If a really inspired idea comes to you, take it one step at a time, don't try to figure anything out. TRUST and SURRENDER are key...anything else is just mind stuff.

Your ideas are beautiful because they're yours...it's your mind turning them ugly.

Hope this helps a bit...I'm writing fast because I need to go pick up my little one.

Loving you! Trusting you fully.