Sunday 24 April 2011

All change, please!

If you travel on the London Underground, you will at some point invariably hear these words: "All change, please". This announcement is made to all passengers when a tube train has reached its final destination, either at the end of the line or at a certain point in the journey.

The "all change" announcement signals to all passengers, regardless of their age, gender, creed or hair colour that they can go no further on this train. Choosing to stay on the train will mean returning to where they've just come from, which is pretty pointless (unless you're just on the tube for the purposes of people watching and possible flaneuring). No; when you hear the announcement, it is time to begin a new phase of your journey.

My life has recently been calling to me, "All change please, Miss Barbour. All change", reminding me also to "Please mind the gap".


I stand on the threshold of a new chapter, one that is seemingly unwritten but which I secretly suspect is already etched deeply onto my heart.

I wonder what will happen? Not listening to my heart has brought me to my knees in recent weeks. It appears that I no longer have the option of going the other way anymore; I have reached the end of the line.

Please, if you can, support me as I take these tentative, baby steps towards fulfilling my function. I'm vulnerable to taking the quick route out of this discomfort - my ego would happily let me find a seemingly 'good' job, not letting on that in six months' time, I'll look back and realize that I didn't change trains, I just stayed on the same one as it went back to where it came from.

This moment, this now, is full of potential, and it isn't burdened by the fact that it's taken me numerous times making the same mistake to arrive at this place. My life is drenched in possibility, and I intend to quieten my mind and listen for the whispers.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I feel as though I could have written this post. I am right there with you. Maybe we can kick back on the train together, and just let it take us where it will, and we'll be having so much fun playing, we'll never realize that we made it to our destination!

Sending love and solidarity.

Julia said...

Hallelujah, Elloa!

I am here, my friend, in full support of this new chapter.

"My life is drenched in possibility," oh, how true this is...totally dripping with it.

"All change!" Here we go!