Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Bond

What is this bond, this mother-daughter fusion of heart and soul and mind?
What is this terrible sadness, this heaving of chest and tightness of breath, this can't breathe can't speak can't see you or me or anything now?
What is this bond so strong that it can survive days and weeks and months of drought, only to find two roots entwined as closely as the day of being born?
What of this wide-eyed disbelief, this recollection of bygone days, of lemon sorbets in a cone, of newspapers, of hearth, of home,
And what of jerky twitchy damsel in distress, and who is who in this meshy messy mess?
This slurry topsy-turvy groaning moaning lonely person is a person who I love so much it hurts to see her hurting,

Detaching's never easy but they tell me I must do it
For my sanity and suddenly I'm finding my way through it
And the pain is for me aged thirteen and her aged fifty years plus three
For all the mislaid days and dreams, for keys that lay in her Hades,
For love she never knew when young, wisp of times long gone live on
What is this sadness? Endlessly is
Rolling in and out in me - a tide of love that only seemingly
Retreats out to periphery?

It is the mother-daughter bond.
It is the mother-daughter bond.
It is the mother-daughter bond,
Naive to think it been and gone.

It is the closest of the close,
the harshest of the pains,
the well that runs not dry in hope
yet witnesses no change.
It is the mother-daughter bond.
It is the mother-daughter bond.
This pain, this love, where's mummy gone?
It is my mother-daughter bond.

2 comments:

Nige said...

Hey Ell..

Your poem touched my soul.The push and pull between fear and love. She may not be able to see you, but you can choose to see her; that spark of light which remains hidden withn her that can never be extinguished.

Love Nige

frugal fashionista said...

Beautiful and heartfelt as always. I hear your pain and send you love and light. xxx